moving out? Have you finally got your dream home and are excited to shift there as soon as possible? Or are you simply going to a new rented place?
Well, in any condition, moving our stuff is the biggest task that falls upon us. Since we can’t just get up and start living in a new place or buy everything new, every single time we move into a new place, we must take our old stuff with us, whether it’s that old hand-me-down Almirah or the beloved mattress which you can’t just leave back since you can’t sleep without it.
While shifting houses, one of the crucial tasks is moving your bed or a mattress. Many people struggle with it since mattresses are made with a delicate material that comes in big size, heavy weight and with high cost.
So, here are some quick tips for tackling the tension of protecting the mattress while shifting:
There are Three steps of moving a mattress: Packing, transporting and unpacking.
It’s the first and most important stage of moving out. It’s where you need a plan of action to shift your mattress without any damage. For that,
- First and foremost, you ought to finalize whether your current mattress is worth shifting. If your mattress is worn out, damaged beyond repair or has been there for more than 7 to 8 years, then there is no point carrying it to a new place. Rather, buy a new mattress which will be more accessible from a transportation point of view. Many manufacturers provide free delivery and installation when you buy mattress online.
- If you are determined to bring your old mattress to a new place, read the manual for instructions about packing and moving mattresses.
- It’s the first and most important stage of moving out. It’s where you need a plan of action to shift your mattress without any damage. For that,
- Get good quality wrappers, such as plastic or bubble wrap, and tape to keep the wrap together.
- Before packing the mattress, fix all torn corners and stitch it if required to avoid any damage while transporting.
- Make sure that the mattress is foldable or not, and thus pack it accordingly. Many top mattress brands, like the Sleep Company, sell SmartGRID mattresses that are very easy to pack and transport between two places.
The next step of shifting to a new place is transportation. While transporting your mattress, there are many things you need to be careful about. Such as,
- Do not try to carry your mattress on the car’s rooftop as there are high chances of the mattress coming loose on the road and causing traffic and accidents.
- Make sure that you select a good and trustworthy transport system that takes good care of your mattress and other stuff while shifting.
- Opt out for the vehicles with rooftops to avoid getting your mattress and other stuff dirty by outside dust.
- Take the help of other people to carry your mattress from home to the vehicle and then to a new place.
- Keep the mattress either aligned to the side walls of the vehicle. Also, you can keep it between two tall furniture items like a cupboard or bed frame. It gives you two advantages: one for the mattress itself and another it helps prevent collision of other furniture.
It’s the last step of shifting, yet it is equally essential in order to protect the mattress. Once you reach the new place, make sure that you,
- Don’t take the mattress immediately to the bedroom where you are planning to keep it.
- After unwrapping the mattress, let it open to its proper form. Further, keep it out to air it and get rid of any smell caused due to being wrapped for a while. If possible, keep it out in sunlight; it helps eliminate bacteria and other pests.
- Take a closer look at the mattress to ensure it’s not damaged while transporting. If the mattress is damaged while transporting, then fix it. Stitch the fabric, fix the springs or coil if broken, etc.
However, if the mattress is beyond repair, consider buying a new one. Since a broken mattress can cause sleep issues, you may opt-out of the Sleep Company’s SmartGRID mattresses, which can provide you with the best comfort and support.
Keeping your mattresses safe while transporting them from one place to another may be hectic. But if planned out properly, it is not that gruesome.
Also, if you find it difficult to transport an old mattress to a new place, buy a new one. You can always select the best mattress brand in India that sells the best mattresses and provides you with services like free home delivery and installation.